Saturday, April 25, 2009

Young Love After 50


By young love, I don’t mean with someone in their 20’s, 30’s or 40’s. After 50, many people are divorced, have lost a spouse to death, or some have never been married. I am fortunate enough to be married 47 years and we are looking forward to many more years together. We are active, still doing many of the things we did in our younger years, and lead very full lives.

When someone divorces, often there are hard feelings, hurts and pains to heal, sometimes, even guilt and depression. When a spouse dies, often these same things need to be healed. Time eases and helps to do this, improving mental attitude, but one thing that often gets worse in both cases is loneliness. Loneliness can speed aging and shorten longevity. We all need love and companionship, someone to share our day and nights with, which are the hardest. Spending time with friends, meeting new people, finding someone to fill that empty space, are all great ways to speed this process for a healthier, happier longevity, decreasing our susceptibility to things disease and illness. After 50, falling in love again increases ones desire to lead a full, active life. This does not necessarily mean marriage, but someone to have a meaningful relationship with, to enjoy fun things together and help fill those empty hours.

For a healthier and happier longevity after 50, love and companionship are very important. Paul McCartney talks about his life, loneliness and remarriage after 50. Soon to be 64, he is still active, continuing his career.

Remaining healthy through good nutrition, good supplements, exercise, friends and family gives us good support in times like these.

Are you fighting loneliness, getting over the loss of a loved one or divorce?

5 comments:

kathi Minsky said...

You seem so young at heart and have a great relationship with your wonderful and apparently a bit crazy hubby. You have earned the right to share your wisdom with the rest of us. Some tell...others do!. You are a great example of what you share with other. Keep up the great posts.

Kathi Minsky said...

Lela,
I just took your longevity test from the post below. Oh my gosh. I was pleased to see that my biological age is 89 years younger than my actual age.
One of the most revealing questions was that if you do not have sufficient finances to meet your lifestyle without stress, it actually affects how long you might live. Very Interesting. Great Stuff.

Liz Amason said...

I divorced several years ago and there was a lot of those "issues" to cope with. I wish I knew then, what I know now, about the importance of good eating habits and taking quality nutritional supplements. I believe that I am more energetic now, than I was 17 years ago!

Jeanie Watkins said...

Lela,
Great site and info! I'll return to read more of your articles. Jeanie W

AuntJoJo said...

Great post Lela, my sister in law just lost her husband so I read this with interest and it has given me some ideas on how I can better help her though this time of grief.